Spring is just around the corner so it’s time to start thinking about spring cleaning and making sure your air conditioning system is ready for the warm weather. Prepare now and save time and money and possible aggravation should your air conditioning system go down in the hot summer days.
- Schedule your preventative maintenance now. Preventative maintenance helps reduce the risk of your air conditioning breaking down in the peak of summer. A properly maintained air conditioner will last longer, perform better and reduce energy costs.
- Change your air filters. It is best to use filters that last up to 3 months, it makes it easier to remember when to change them, which would be at the beginning of every season. Changing your air filter increases air flow and reduces strain on the system from a clogged air filter. Even if it doesn’t look dirty doesn’t mean it’s not clogged. Be careful to not use a filter that is too restrictive, this can do serious damage and increase your energy bills. It is best to stick with a filter that is rated between 4-8 MERV for 1″ and 8-10 MERV for 4″ media filters, avoiding fiberglass filters or washable filters, these do not filter out small particles that can easily allow dust build up on critical parts of your hvac system.
- Invest in a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats are a great way to save money. Smart programing that learns your schedule, ability to adjust settings from your phone, and can even remind you when to change your filters. Your energy supplier may offer instant rebates to make them extremely affordable.
- Keep your outdoor unit clean and clear. Remove any covers before you turn on your air conditioner. Remove or trim back any plants that are too close to the air conditioner. Clean any built up leaves or litter from around the base of the unit. If there is a significant amount of debris inside the unit you should call to have a scheduled maintenance performed where a technician can open up the unit and perform a deep cleaning.
- Clean registers and vent covers. Remove floor vent covers and remove any debris or misplaced toys. Vacuum wall registers and return grills. This will help increase air flow throughout your home.
Let Price’s Plumbing Heating and Cooling be your trusted HVAC service and installation contractor this spring season. Call us any time at 8563259719!